Amanda Blocker is the academic program manager for Literature, Media, and Communication majors. She has over 10 years of academic advising experience and enjoys helping students navigate their way through college. As a former English literature major, Amanda understands and appreciates the value of a liberal arts degree and has experienced first-hand how a passion for creativity, communication, and critique translate in the workplace and the global community.
Check out the LMC academic advising blog (advisorblog.lmc.gatech.edu) for updates, reminders, and more.
Resources & Advising
Schedule An Appointment
How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?
Please use Advisor Link for scheduling appointments
For help with the advisor link, consult these resources for the new advising platform.
Examples of Appointment Reasons:
- Academic Planning — discussing your plans for future semesters; class recommendations; threads to choose
- Academic Standing — if you are on warning or probation; to discuss improving your GPA
- Change of Major — to discuss interest/plans for changing your major and next steps
- Graduation Application Review — for upcoming graduates who are applying/have applied to graduate
- Midterm Advising — discussing progress reports in 1xxx-2xxx level classes; possible withdrawal from a class
- Paperwork Signature — if you have questions before getting a form signed
- Petition to Faculty — to discuss a petition to the faculty
Degreeworks - to view how classes apply toward your degree requirements
LMC Major Requirements - LMC class options by thread
University Catalog - class options for each major, minor, and certificate
Academic Calendar - important dates for registration, withdrawals, and payments due
OAG (Online Application for Graduation) Deadlines:
The OAG deadline is typically at the end of Phase II for your final semester.
Why doesn’t my degreeworks match my major checklist?
Degreeworks is based on your current catalog and any checklists/paperwork you have may not correspond with the correct catalog. Degreeworks is the platform used to review and confirm your degree status. If you have questions or concerns about your degreeworks, please reach out to your advisor.
Why isn’t my minor showing up on degreeworks?
If you are pursuing a minor but have not officially declared it, you will want to complete the change of minor form prior to submitting the OAG.
Internship & Career Advising
For comprehensive career advising, we have two career educators who work specifically with Ivan Allen College students: Camille Liverpool and Kyle Poe. They can help with resume-building, cover letters, job searching, interviewing, and more! Visit the Career Center to schedule a career advisement appointment with Camille or Kyle.
For creative career-focused sessions, meet with LMC's very own Jillann Hertel. She helps with portfolio review, personal branding, and more. Jillann Hertel also helps LMC majors with unpaid internships for class credit. For more internship information and to schedule an appointment, visit her profile.
In order to be in good standing with the university, you need to achieve certain term and overall grade point averages. If you do not meet certain term and overall GPA designations, you may end up on Warning, Probation, Review, or Drop/Dismissal.
Academic advising is required for all LMC majors on Probation.
Grade Substitution Policy
Students may repeat a course for grade substitution up to two times. This new policy replaces the previous one and is effective Summer 2019.
For more information or to download the form, please review Georgia Tech's Grade Substitution Policy.
At FASET (Georgia Tech’s new student orientation program), students can expect to meet with their academic advisor to review any AP/IB/dual enrollment credit and to create a schedule for fall semester.
Students transferring from another university into the LMC major can expect to meet with their academic advisor to review all previously completed credit, to create a schedule for fall semester, and discuss an approximate date of degree completion.
Other Campus Resources
- Financial aid — for questions about tuition and scholarships (HOPE, ZELL, etc)
- Admissions — for questions about requirements to attend Georgia Institute of Technology
- Registrar — for submitting transcripts, turning in many institute forms, the academic calendar, and more
- Counseling — for mental health support and assistance
- Center for Academic Success — for tutoring, coaching, and other programs to help you succeed