Senior Academic Professional and Creative/CoLab Director
- School of Literature, Media, and Communication
MFA, School of Visual Arts, NYC.
BA, University of Florida, Gainesville.
Jillann Hertel Deltejo joined the School of Literature, Media, and Communication (LMC) at Georgia Tech after 15+ years in arts, production, programming, and program development. Hertel served as curator and Director of Programming for a three-floor arts center in Brooklyn which housed: music, film, performance, and fine arts, as well as other unique happenings. Her studio experience primarily includes: photography, music, and video production. As both industry professional and academic, she teaches an Art of the Industry course for graduating seniors. As LMC's Creative Director, Hertel directs LMC's Creative Career Origination Lab (CoLab) where students in Literature, Media, and Communication and Computational Media have the opportunity to design materials and original content (written, web-based, and print). CoLab challenges, professionalizes, and engages students in production and problem-solving by creating real-world products while enhancing and elevating their portfolios.
Hertel founded The School of Literature, Media, and Communication's CoLab as well as co-founded the Minor in Social Justice here at Georgia Tech.
She is interested in how the forces of representation in media translate into psychological and material realities and how media, art, and events influence cultural change.
- MFA, School of Visual Arts, Manhattan, NY
- BA, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- USG Art Directors Fellowship
- Institute Award, Innovation in Co-curricular Innovation
- Woman of Distinction Award, Women
- Ivan Allen College; Buzz Award for Student Service
- Creating the Next: Technological Humanist (Institute Profile)
- Media Studies
- Aesthetics and Technology
- Creativity in Context
- Digital and Mixed Media
- Inequality, Inequity, and Social Justice
- Media Production
- Television Studies
- GMC-6003: Prof Portfolio Media
- LMC-2000: Intro-Lit, Media, & Comm
- LMC-3823: Special Topics Lit/Cult
- LMC-3843: Spec Topic-Communication
- LMC-4811: Special Topics