Timeline & History

1910

President Matheson articulates the role of liberal education at Georgia Techas one of the only cultural forces mingled in future engineers’ education necessary for producing students capable of communication across fields.

1913

Students and faculty start a Drama Club on Campuswhere the first play was “Brown of Harvard.” During the Depression, the club was absent until its reinvention in 1947.

1933

Technical English is introduced to teach forms of composition that are specifically demanded of engineers such as technical papers, reports and business letters.

1941

Business English is introduced as a course of study.

1959

Grand opening of Skiles classroom building.

1977

Science fiction is added to the course of study and Professor Bud Foote is the first professor hired to teach the course.

1990

The Department of English is renamedthe School of Literature, Communication and Culture(LCC) offering five certificate programs: American Literature, Drama and Film, Literature and Science, Technical and Business Communication and Western Traditions.

1992

The first LCCdegree, Bachelor in Science, Technology and Culture (STAC) is offered. STAC Combines the study of mathematics, science and engineering with the study of society, history and the arts.

2004

Bachelor of Science in Computational Media, a joint degree between Computer Science and LCC is introduced.

2006

LCC Degrees are Bachelor of Science in Computational Media, Bachelor of Science in Science, Technology and Culture, Master of Science in Digital Media, Master of Science in human Computer interaction, Doctor of Philosophy in Digital Media.

2012

LCC rebrands itself as The School of Literature, Media, and Communication (LMC) to reflect new emphasis in media courses and demonstrate school’s continuing response to changing media and technology in today’s world.