Academic Professional and Creative Director
- School of Literature, Media, and Communication
MFA, School of Visual Arts, NYC.
focus: art writing as literature and the influence of art and media on culture and human behavior
BA, University of Florida, Gainesville.
via: the department of English in the Film and Media Studies Program
Jillann Hertel joined the School of Literature, Media, and Communication (LMC) at Georgia Tech after 15+ years in arts, production, programming, and program development. Hertel served as curator and Director of Programming for a three-floor arts center in Brooklyn which housed: music, film, performance, and fine arts, as well as other unique happenings. Her studio experience primarily includes: photography, music, and video production. As both industry professional and academic, she teaches an Art of the Industry course for graduating seniors. As LMC's Creative Director, Hertel directs LMC's Creative Career Origination Lab (CoLab) where students in Literature, Media, and Communication and Computational Media have the opportunity to design materials and original content (written, web-based, and print). CoLab challenges, professionalizes, and engages students in production and problem-solving by creating real-world products while enhancing and elevating their portfolios.
Hertel founded LMC's CoLab as well as the Minor in Social Justice here at Georgia Tech.
She is interested in how the forces of representation in media translate into psychological and material realities and how media, art, and events influence change and culture.
- MFA, School of Visual Arts, Manhattan, NY
- BA, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- USG Art Directors' Conference; keynote speaker and fellow
- Georgia Tech's Institute Teaching Award for Innovation in Co-curricular Education
- Women's Leadership Conference Woman of Distinction
- Ivan Allen College; Buzz Award for Student Service
- Creating the Next: Technological Humanist (Institute Profile)
- Media Studies
- Inequality and Social Justice
- Creativity in Context
- Digital and Mixed Media
- Digital Communication
- LMC-3843: Spec Topic-Communication
- LMC-4811: Special Topics